Top 5 Open Source PDF Editors for Mac
It’s never easy to edit PDF documents and prepare other PDF files on Mac without the necessary PDF editors. It can be very frustrating if you’ve no idea where to begin. For some open source PDF editor Mac choices are better than nothing. While PDF editor Mac open source tools are in plenty, you need those compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina to ensure the process of working on PDFs and editing them as you need will be so easy. Here are 5 best PDF editor open source Mac tools you might want to look at.
Best 5 Open Source PDF Editors for Mac
1. LibreOffice Draw
One of the most commonly used open source PDF editor Mac suites ou there, it’s well supported by a lively community. The free tool is available for Linux and Windows as well. While the user interface might not be anything closer to what Microsoft Office offers, it can help you get by. It can help you accomplish some critical PDF files editing, including removing, importing, exporting or adding pages, images or text as well as adding a digital sign on your important documents.
- PDF files editing is easy and fast
- Process of importing, exporting, adding or removing images, texts and pages in PDFs isn’t complicated
- Comes with digital signing capabilities for PDFs
- Completely free to use
- User interface not as appealing as you’d expect
- File types can be frustrating at times
- Doesn’t include cloud option
2. Formulate Pro
Another open source PDF editor for Mac easily available is Formulate Pro. It comes with features allowing you to redact, edit and view PDF documents without a problem. One of its key feature is cloud support allowing users to store their PDF documents on the web and access them just about anywhere and at any given time.
Formulate Pro allows you to add text, including changing the font if you need to, matching the initial file and even sign off PDFs digitally while protecting the documents with passwords and managing diverse permissions helping you to handle sensitive files with care. The open source PDF editor for Mac also includes a converter you can use to change files into PDF or from PDF to other formats.
- Avails lots of tools to help edit, create and present PDF files perfectly
- Allows conversion of PDFs into other formats
- Includes a simple and easy to use UI
- Supports cloud allowing to take it anywhere with you
- Converting certain PDF files into some formats like EPUB is rather hard
3. Skim Open Source Mac PDF editor
Made with macOS in mind, Skim is a unique open source PDF editor and note taker available for use. You can actually use the tool to easily review PDF files and documents, use comment capabilities to keep snapshots if you need to, highlight critical text while navigating pages smoothly through a contents table. Features to watch out for include editing and adding notes capabilities, viewing PDF files, making snapshots to help you refer with ease, including access to smart cropping features. In-built transitions allow you to make strong presentations.
- Includes lots of PDF document annotation tools
- Comes with text color choices
- Editing and viewing capabilities
- Easy to integrate with tools such as PDFSync or LaRex
- Text highlighting is easy
- Compared to premium tools it isn’t as advanced
- Features might be practical but not sufficiently intuitive
4. Preview-Inbuilt Mac PDF editor and Viewer
One of the highly used PDF editing tools for open source available, Preview is an inbuilt editing and viewing tool in Macs. It’s highly used in various functions such as signing and reading PDF files and documents. Available for free, it’s a uniquely Apple tool Mac users can use though with limited functionalities. It doesn’t need downloading while simple features such as splitting PDF files, merging and creating are easy to use.
- Allows you to add comments and text to PDFs
- Includes document signing and text highlighting
- You can also use Preview to add notes and move them across the document
- Adding a signature is easy and fast
- Image editing isn’t complicated
- You can easily export and share PDF files
- You can actually save images and documents in other formats
- Possible to edit and add hyperlinks anywhere in the PDF document
- PDF metadata can be edited and viewed as well
- Tool bar multi-color highlighting not provided
- Limited features while page insertion can be hectic
A popular PDF editor, Scribus is an open source PDF editor available for Linux, Windows and Mac users. It’s highly used in both designing and creation of collaborative PDF documents. Management of color comes naturally with the open source PDF editor and very effective in desktop publishing, a feature that makes Scribus a unique tool compared to others available elsewhere on the web. The tool is also continuously being developed unlike many open source ones out there.
- Includes an easy to use user interface
- Supports images, font types and colors
- Comes with a drag and drop feature efficient in resizing PDF content and moving them about
- Tries too hard to imitate Adobe
Best Solutions for Open Source PDF Editor for Mac
Open source PDF editors are useful and can come in handy when you really need them. However, even the best of them can have serious problems when operating in Mac and managing and editing PDFs. Obviously, a working solution to edit PDFs and deal with the glaring problems between Mac and open source PDF editors is a wonderful choice. PDFelement for Mac is a unique open source PDF editor available for all Mac users and more than most it’s compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. PDFelement for Mac is full of highly important features Mac owners will love, which include ability to convert, edit and create PDFs while supporting tens of languages.
- Seamless PDF form filling and editing
- Includes batch watermarks removal or addition feature
- Easy top delete PDF annotations
- Perfectly splits PDF documents and merges as well
- Best tool to edit and convert PDF files into all manner of formats such as HTML, EPUB documents and Microsoft Office formats
- Top 5 PDF Creator for Mac
- Best 10 Free PDF Editor for Mac
- Top 10 PDF Printers for macOS 10.15 Catalina
- Top 5 PDF to Pages Converters for Mac
- Top 5 Open Source PDF Editors for Mac